At the end of last year, I decided to update my working environment. Here is an overview of the distinct improvements I’ve made in the last three months.
First of all, I updated from Nuendo 10 to Nuendo 11. No major changes in my opinion, except for the Export Queue: my scoring template has evolved in order to make the most of this new feature. I’ll write in the near future a blog post about my new template, since after a few years of struggle, I think I’ve found a system — at last! — which combines efficiency, flexibility, sturdiness, and various opportunities of evolution...
Then, I’ve made some material adjustments, beginning with the replacement of my mouse by a SlimBlade Trackball. My desk being a bit too high, I often had wrist pain. I’m thrilled with this change, which relieves myself, but most of all, offers a standard of navigation and editing far better than the mouse. I’ve also replaced my faithful Novation Impulse 61 by a Studiologic SL-88 Grand, bought second-hand (as my trackball, by the way). The joysticks’ card was not working properly, but I managed to replace it easily. From now on, I have under my fingers an expressive, pleasant and solid keyboard… which is also a lot heavier! This new setup makes me pull more the SL-88’s drawer, which takes me away from my peripherals, especially from my Artist Mix.
This experience made me want to create other objects. For example, I need to think about acoustic panels. For now, using Reference 4 (Sonarworks) makes it possible to fix my room, and to mix serenely. In a near future, I plan to make some acoustic measurements and 3D modelisation to upgrade the acoustic quality of my working environment.
To conclude this first wave of improvements, I installed rackable multi-sockets, covers and a headphones support: my desk is tidier, and my installation’s power supply is now centralized and easy to reach. Finally, a little wooden support allows me to use the Avid Control app on my iPhone, in order to control my Artist Mix. Since I use it to mix and to control my virtual instruments via MIDI, thanks to Bome MIDI Translator Pro. But this is another story, to be continued…
Many thanks to Eric and Nathalie Santoni who helped me to translate this blog post.
Hi! A few weeks ago, I've decided to translate my website in English — work still in progress! Since I was a student in Paris, I've held a blog about different subjects, such as music, movies and my musical journey. I'll be happy to share my thoughts and news in English from now on! We'll talk about my projects, events, audio gear and geeky aspects of my job... This blog won't be a simple translation of its French version: I'll try to post only what's relevant in each language, and they may be specific articles in English or in French. Welcome aboard, and stay tuned!